Jul 24, 2024  
2017-2018 Undergraduate Bulletin 
2017-2018 Undergraduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED]


Information for All Applicants

This section provides general information for degree-seeking students. If you wish to take classes for professional or personal development, you need only read the section titled “Special Students.”

If you will be taking classes to work toward a degree, you must apply for admission to the university. You can obtain a UW System Application for Admission form by contacting the Office of Admissions at UW-Stout, contacting any Wisconsin or Minnesota high school guidance office, or online at www.apply.wisconsin.edu.

Applications to UW-Stout may be submitted beginning September 1 for admission to the following fall term. There is no deadline for applications; however, we are limited in the number of students we can accept. Applicants may declare a major on the application form or apply as “undecided.”

Keep in mind that you may also have to meet entry standards set by a school or department. See the sections on the individual programs for more information.

UW-Stout will keep you informed of pertinent changes at the university. If you have the chance to study part time elsewhere, you will be able to check the transferability of your course work to UW-Stout by contacting the university’s Admissions Office. If transferring from a UW System institution, check online at the Transfer Wisconsin website. 

Notice: You must provide the university with accurate information about your personal and educational history. UW-Stout’s policy is that students who intentionally falsify or omit information given as par of their university record will be suspended.

Auditing Classes

If you are not concerned about receiving college credit for courses you take, you may audit classes. Wisconsin residents may audit classes for 30 percent of the normal per credit academic fee. The cost for nonresidents is 50 percent of the normal fee. Senior citizens age 60 or older by the first day of class only pay textbook and lab fees for audit credits and laptops.

You may audit classes provided that you apply for admission; the class teacher approves your request to audit the class; you pay any special costs for course instruction other than the normal tuition; and the university will not be required to provide additional classroom or laboratory space for you, and will not realize increased instructional costs.

You will receive only provisional permission to attend classes until course registration is completed. You may not change your admission status and take the course for credit once the class has started. A course which has been audited may not be retaken for credit. You will be subject to Regent, university and student government regulations, just like students who are taking courses for credit.

Note: As with all students attending the university, special students and auditors must provide UW-Stout with accurate information about their personal and educational history. The university policy is that students who intentionally falsify or omit information given as part of their university record will be suspended.

Admission Categories

Admission procedures and standards vary somewhat from group to group. Following is a definition of each category. Find the category that applies to you (definitions below) and select the appropriate tab at the top of this page:

  • Freshmen: graduates of high schools in the United States and those who will be graduating, who have not attended another university or technical college or school after high school.
  • Transfer students: applicants who have attended another university, technical or community college beginning the fall semester after high school graduation, and wish to transfer to UW-Stout.
  • Re-entry students: students who have attended UW-Stout in the past and wish to again take classes at the university.
  • Special students: students (including those still in high school) who wish to further their education, but are not seeking a degree from UW-Stout.
  • Youth Options/Course Options: high school students who wish to take university courses under the Youth Options/Course Options program. Students must apply both through their high school and UW-Stout for permission to enroll.
  • International students: students from countries other than the United States who wish to attend UW-Stout.

Freshman Students

  1. Applications and transcripts may be submitted as early as September 1 for admission the following fall, or early May for the following spring term. UW-Stout enrollments are limited, so it is important that you plan and apply early. Students applying for the Graphic Design and Interactive Media, B.F.A. , and the Computer Science, B.S.   programs must submit their complete application materials and portfolio by the first Monday in January (check program website for more instruction).
  2. You must be a graduate from a recognized high school or equivalent.
  3. Admission will be based on multiple criteria including academic rigor, academic GPA, trend in grades, rank in class and ACT/SAT scores.  Non-academic factors will also be considered. We conduct a comprehensive review and no single factor will eliminate or guarantee admission. Applicants must complete the high school course requirements as determined by the University of Wisconsin System.
    1. four credits of English: emphasizing literature, composition, rhetoric and speech.
    2. three credits of Mathematics: algebra I, geometry and algebra II (Integrated Math 1, 2 and 3). A fourth year is strongly encouraged for majors in science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
    3. three credits of Natural Science: biology, chemistry and physics.
    4. three credits of Social Science/History.
    5. four credits of Electives: chosen from the areas listed above, or foreign language, business, family/consumer education, art and design, and computer applications/programming.
  4. Applicants must earn good grades and maintain a high level of achievement in challenging coursework.
  5. The pattern of grades over time is important and an increasingly strong academic record can improve the likelihood of admission.
  6. Class rank is requested of all applicants (if available) and we consider rank along with other factors.
  7. A copy of your ACT score is also required of all applicants to be considered with other factors. We will also accept the SAT.
  8. All freshmen must take the ACT or SAT, however, the test is not the only criterion for admission. The admission test requirement may be waived if you have been out of high school for two or more years, are age 21 or older, or are an international student.
  9. In addition to academic achievement, the Admissions Office will consider the following as part of the review of an application: leadership, volunteerism, personal statement, honors and awards, letters of recommendation, socio-economic background, extracurricular activities, diversity of personal background, work experience and military experience.
  10. New freshmen are likely to be admitted if they rank in the top 50 percent of their graduating class or have earned a minimum ACT composite score of 22 (or SAT equivalent).
  11. The following programs are competitive and require further academic achievement: Applied Mathematics and Computer Science, B.S. ; Applied Science, B.S. ; Computer Engineering, B.S. ;Game Design and Development-Art, B.F.A.     Computer Science, B.S. Graphic Design and Interactive Media, B.F.A.  ;  Manufacturing Engineering, B.S. ; Mechanical Engineering, B.S.  ;  Packaging, B.S.  ; Plastics Engineering, B.S. ; and Supply Chain Management, B.S.    -  the additional criteria for these programs can be found online

Non-Traditional Admission Requirements

Applicants who have been out of school for two years or more may also be considered for admission if, on the basis of other factors, they appear to have a reasonable probability of success in college. Applicants with a GED or High School Equivalency Diploma will also be considered for admission. It is recommended that applicants have a GED examination average score of 50 or better to be considered for admission to the university.

Transfer Students

For enrollment management purposes the number of transfer students admitted may be controlled. In such cases, institutional policy will determine the criteria by which limitations of access shall be applied, but preference for admission will be given to students transferring from UW Colleges and from other UW institutions where the student’s desired major or program is not offered, subject to the limits of UW-Stout’s enrollment target.

Transfer applicants must demonstrate that they are prepared to do satisfactory academic work at UW-Stout and that as members of the campus community, they will benefit from and enrich the educational environment and enhance the quality of the institution. Each applicant’s file will be given a comprehensive review. Academic information considered will include the student’s post-secondary academic records, and may also include high school records, standardized test scores, and/or other relevant academic information.

While academic factors are the most important consideration, other factors may also be considered. These factors include, but are not limited to, student experiences, work experience, leadership qualities, motivation, community service, special talents, status as a non-traditional or returning adult, status as a veteran of the U.S. military, whether the applicant is socio-economically disadvantaged, and whether the applicant is a member of a historically underrepresented racial or ethnic group. 

College, school or program needs may set standards for entry to a program in order to achieve enrollment management goals. Such standards will apply equally to continuing students and transfer students.

  • The university will need an official transcript from each post-secondary institution you have attended. High school transcripts are also required if, at the point of application, the student has not already earned a bachelor’s degree. Applications and transcripts may be submitted as early as September for admission the following fall, and early May for the following spring. Apply early so you can register for classes and complete the financial aid application process in a timely manner. UW-Stout enrollments are limited, so it’s important that you plan and apply early.
  • You will be considered as transfer students once you have begun college level coursework beginning with the fall semester after you graduate from high school.  
  • A minimum of 12 academic college level (not remedial) transferrable credits is desired to be considered on the basis of their college coursework alone.
  • You are likely to be admitted if you have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale from the last college/university attended.
  • Students with a cumulative grade point average of less than 2.0 (on a 4.0 scale) from the last college/university attended may be considered for admission on probation.
  • Students with fewer than 30 transferable credits and a cumulative grade point average less than 2.0 (on a 4.0 scale) from the last college/university attended and are currently enrolled at a college or university may be admitted to UW-Stout if they had been admissible at UW-Stout as a new freshman and if they would have been eligible to continue at UW-Stout had they achieved their existing academic record here. These students may be placed on a ‘wait list’ and reconsidered for admission upon receipt of a new or updated official transcript if space is available.
  1. Credit is generally awarded for college level coursework completed at institutions accredited by a regional or national accrediting organization by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Foreign institutions must be recognized by the Ministry of Education (or equivalent) in that country. Credit earned in institutions of higher education which are not accredited is generally not accepted for transfer. However, credit may be granted for post-secondary work from non-accredited institutions by examination and/or upon departmental evaluation of course syllabi and other program information. Courses must be similar in nature, level and content to a course in our undergraduate curriculum and applicable to one of our academic programs; this includes courses that are technical, occupational or vocational in nature. Continuing education courses and courses that are remedial are not transferable. Graduate-level courses or courses that are doctrinal in nature may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
  • All credit that is transcripted is evaluated, including what is awarded for experiential learning or other forms of prior learning, or relies on the evaluation of responsible third parties. Dual credit courses or programs for high school students are considered equivalent in learning outcomes and levels in achievement to its higher education curriculum by means of receipt of an official college transcript from a regionally accredited institution.
  • Credit may be granted for educational accomplishments attained in extra-institutional settings (e.g., military, professional development, work-place training, and others) on the basis of an internally developed assessment such as department exams and portfolio review; internal review of recommendations from organizations such as the American Council on Education’s (ACE) Center for Adult Learning and Educational Credentials or the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL) or through the National College Credit Recommendation Service (NCCRS). Such credit may be required to appear on an official transcript from said organization awarding/recommending college level credit.
  • Students may have the opportunity to demonstrate competence through the use of internally and externally developed tests, portfolio assessment procedures and other competency based alternatives.

Additional Requirements

The following programs are competitive and require further academic achievement: Applied Mathematics and Computer Science, B.S.  ; Applied Science, B.S. ; Art Education, B.S.  ; Computer Engineering, B.S. ;  Dietetics, B.S. Game Design and Development-Art, B.F.A.  ; Computer Science, B.S.  ; Manufacturing Engineering, B.S. ; Mechanical Engineering, B.S.  ; Packaging, B.S. ;  Plastics Engineering, B.S. ; and Supply Chain Management, B.S.  - the additional criteria for these programs can be found online.

All students wishing to transfer into a teacher education program must have a 2.75 cumulative grade point average and will be admitted as a Pre-Education student. Subsequent acceptance into a teacher education major and enrollment in professional education coursework will require successful completion of Benchmark I. More information on Benchmark I is available on the School of Education website.

Students applying for Graphic Design and Interactive Media, B.F.A., must submit their complete application materials and portfolio by the second Monday in January.


Articulation Agreements

UW-Stout maintains program articulation agreements with various technical and community colleges in Wisconsin and neighboring states. If you are a student enrolled in an A.A.S. or A.S. program and considering a transfer to UW-Stout, call the Office of Admissions at 715-232-1787 or check the online guide to Transferring to UW-Stout for the most up-to-date listing of program agreements.

Credit for Prior Learning

Credit for prior learning that is internally assessed and transcribed as a course equivalency by another institution will be evaluated for transfer by UW-Stout on the same basis as courses taken at that institution. These credits may include:

  • Retroactive Credit for foreign language
  • Test-Out Credit for that institution’s actual course (as opposed to elective credit)

For credit earned by any means of any other test such as Advanced Placement, College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and International Baccalaureate (IB), you must provide UW-Stout with an original score report to receive credit pre-determined by departmental review based on score received.  

Learn more at the Prior Learning Assessment website. 


Transfer Credit Principles

Credit is generally awarded for college level coursework completed at institutions accredited by a regional or national accrediting organization by the Council for Higher Education (CHEA). Foreign institutions must be recognized by the Ministry of Education (or equivalent) in that country. Credit earned in institutions of higher education which are not accredited is generally not accepted for transfer. However, credit may be granted for post-secondary work from non-accredited institutions by examination and/or upon departmental evaluation of course syllabi and other program information. Courses must be similar in nature, level and content to a course in our undergraduate curriculum and applicable to one of our academic programs. This includes courses that are technical, occupational or vocational in nature. Continuing education courses and courses that are remedial are not transferable. Graduate level courses or courses that are doctrinal in nature may be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Principles of Accommodation

  1. Students transferring having already earned a Bachelor’s degree, a UW associate degree, an Associate of Arts degree from a Minnesota college or a WTCS liberal arts/collegiate transfer programs associate of arts/associate of science degrees that specifically align with the associate degrees awarded by UW institutions;
  2. Transfer of general education/liberal arts requirements in terms of broad academic areas (social sciences, humanities, natural sciences, etc.) as well as specific courses shall be recognized.
    1. will be considered to have all general education requirements complete with the exception of any specific requirements for their degree program. 
      • students with associate degrees from states other than Wisconsin or Minnesota will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
    2. will be considered to have completed the graduation requirements of Racial and Ethnic Studies and Global Perspective.
    3. may not have competency requirements or levels of proficiency (e.g., English composition, speech, foreign language, math, quantitative reasoning) satisfied.
  3. Credit may be awarded in transfer for courses for which we do not have a comparable department or curricular area, or for which we do not have a direct course equivalent.  Where appropriate, these credits should apply toward satisfying general education and other degree requirements.  When applying a course toward general education/breadth requirements, it generally applies in the same category as similar courses offered at UW-Stout. However, if the course fulfills a different category at the previous institution and the student requests that the original designation be applied the request should be approved where appropriate.
  4. Student course grades may be used as a factor to determine if, and how, transfer credit is applied but the same principles should be applied to both transfer and continuing students.
  5. If a student changes his/her academic major or program, all transfer credits may be reevaluated to determine if, and how, they apply to the new major or program.
  6. When a student transfers, an evaluation of the transfer work will be done based on official transcript(s) from each institution the student attended.  The student is responsible for submitting official transcript(s) from each previously attended institution to UW-Stout for transfer evaluation. The National Student Clearinghouse will be checked to verify attendance at post-secondary institutions previously attended.  Failure to list all institutions may result in disciplinary action, recission of admission, and/or invalidation of credits or degrees earned.
  7. Students transferring from within the UW System may be permitted to graduate using the catalog requirements in effect at the time of their matriculation at their first UW institution.
  8. Transfer credits will be evaluated by UW-Stout on a course-by-course basis to determine if and whether credits will apply beyond the satisfaction of general education breadth requirements.


UW System Transfer Students

  • UW-Stout works with the UW System two-year colleges and their UW Colleges Guaranteed Transfer Program. If you choose to participate in this program, you are guaranteed admission to UW-Stout, provided you meet the provisions of the policy.
  • UW System College counselors can help you select course work that will relate to your planned major at UW-Stout. Under UW System policy, you may transfer up to half the number of credits required for graduation in your major at UW-Stout.
  • Students may generally transfer up to 72 degree credits earned at non-baccalaureate institutions. Additional credits may be accepted toward the degree where appropriate with department approval. This does not alter policies concerning credits to be earned in residence
  • UW Colleges advising guides are available to assist in course choices. 

Technical and Community College Transfer Students

  • If you are transferring from a technical college, UW-Stout credit may be granted in transfer for general education/breadth coursework (i.e. in communications, behavioral sciences, social sciences, mathematics, and natural science) offered within a Wisconsin technical college applied associate degree or college parallel programs, and similar programs from other states.
  • Credit may be granted on a course-by-course basis for occupational, technical and vocational coursework leading to an applied associate degree from WTCS programs if there is not an articulation agreement in place. If you’re transferring from such a program, UW-Stout may accept some of your technical credits.

Re-entry Students

There are two types of re-entry students: Regular re-entry students are those who have completed no transferable credits from any post-secondary institution since they last attended UW-Stout. Transfer re-entry students are those who have completed transferable credits at a post-secondary institution since they last attended UW-Stout.

Regular re-entry students:

  1. Complete the UW System Application for Admission form and submit it to the Admissions Office. If you left the university in good standing, you may be readmitted as enrollment management goals allow.
  2. If you left on academic probation, you may be readmitted on academic probation, if there is room for you in your chosen program.
  3. The director of admissions or a designee will review applications from re-entry students who were academically dismissed from the university. Students currently on academic dismissal must submit a letter of appeal along with their application. If the application for readmission is denied, the decision may be appealed to the Dean of Students Office.

Transfer re-entry students:

  1. Complete the UW System Application for Admission and submit it to the Admissions Office. If you left the university in good standing or on probation, you will be readmitted in the same status, provided you are eligible to return to the institution you last attended, and provided.
  2. Submit official transcripts from each institution you attended since your last attendance at UW-Stout. 
  3. If you left UW-Stout because of academic dismissal, you may be readmitted on probation. Students currently on academic dismissal must submit a letter of appeal long with their application. Decisions will be made on a case by case basis at the discretion of the director of admissions and considering enrollment targets. Students are required to submit a letter of appeal.
  4. If your transfer grade point average is less than 2.20, you may be denied re-admittance to UW-Stout. Denial decisions may be appealed to the Dean of Students Office.

Special Students

This diverse group of students may include mid-career professionals seeking certification for a changing technology, community members seeking courses for personal fulfillment, high school students taking classes not offered at a high school, guests and auditors. Special students may be admitted as enrollment management goals permit.

  1. To be admitted as a special student, simply indicate that status on the application for admission. You do not need to indicate a major, submit transcripts, take the ACT, or pay the application fee. High school students admitted as special students must gain the approval of their parents and their high school, and submit a high school transcript.
  2. As a special student, you must take the English and math placement tests before enrolling in an English or math course.
  3. You are not eligible for financial aid.
  4. You may request to change your status to degree-seeking student after you have completed 12 credits. You may accumulate a maximum of 29 credits as a special student.
  5. To change to become a degree-seeking student, you will have to complete the application process required of new students by completing the UW System Application for Admission - submitting the appropriate information as New Freshman or Transfer Student as required.
  6. High school students who wish to take classes at the university must rank in the top 50 percent of their high school class or have an ACT composite score of 22 or better, or SAT equivalent.

Youth Options/Course Options Program

The Youth Options/Course Options program serves high school students who wish to take classes not offered at a high school.

  1. To be admitted as a Youth Options/Course Options student, simply indicate that status on the application for admission. You do not need to indicate a major, take the ACT or SAT or pay the application fee. You must gain the approval of your parents and your high school.
  2. You must take the English and math placement tests before enrolling in an English or math course.
  3. You are not eligible for financial aid.
  4. You must rank in the top 50 percent of your high school class or have an ACT composite score of 22 or better, or SAT equivalent.

International Students

  1. All potential international students should have better than average academic records.
  2. All applicants must present the university with official copies of their academic record.

First-year students must send certified copies of certificates, diplomas or degrees earned. These official records must be equal to a United States high school (secondary school) graduation for consideration.

Transfer students must submit certified records of their post-secondary academic work. The records must show the courses the students have taken and the grades they have earned. The university will not grant credit for courses unless there is evidence that the students have satisfactorily completed them.

Credit may be granted to international students if the institution they attended is listed in either the International Handbook of Universities or the Commonwealth Universities Handbook. Credit from institutions not listed in these publications may be transferred only upon the recommendation of the appropriate department.

  1. The university will deny admission to students who submit records with any alterations or irregularities.
  2. Additional records presented after the student has enrolled will not be considered for transfer.
  3. Students from non-English speaking countries are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Applicants will need a minimum score of 70 iBT, 500 paper based (or 173 score on computer-based test) to enroll in full-time study.

For information on taking the TOEFL, write to:

TOEFL Services - Educational Testing Service
PO Box 6151
Princeton, NJ, USA 08541-6151 USA

The TOEFL will be waived if students have completed UW-Stout’s ESLI program or an ESL program from an accredited college or university or other program approved by UW-Stout.

  1. All international students must show evidence that they have adequate finances to undertake a degree program at UW-Stout.
  2. As a condition of admission, international students whose sponsors have a history of delinquency in payment of fees must place on deposit an amount approximately equal to the institution’s non-resident tuition and fees for a 12-month period, which includes two semesters and an eight-week summer term. Applicants who must meet this requirement will be notified when the university receives their applications.
  3. Questions about this policy may be addressed to the Office of Student Business Services or to the Office of International Education.