Jun 15, 2024  
2016-2017 Graduate Bulletin 
2016-2017 Graduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED]

Tuition and Fees


Fee Payment

All students are required to complete a Fee Payment Agreement. All Wisconsin residents are also required to provide information on their marital status.

You are expected to pay all charges according to the Fee Payment Agreement. For the list of tuition due dates, go to the Student Business Office website.

The Fee Payment Agreement application is supplied online via Access Stout. Learn how to complete the agreement online at the Student Business Services website.

Semester Costs

Undergraduate fees are set by the Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System and are subject to change. These fees incorporate tuition, segregated, textbook, and eStout. However, the schedule does not include special course fees charged in some courses. Students in the eStout program pay a per credit rate for tuition. All tuition and fees, room and food rates, and other charges are subject to change without notice. Tuition and fee information is online at the Student Business Services website.

Dual Level Students

Dual Level students (eligible undergraduates carrying graduate work simultaneously) pay the tuition and fees associated with the course, i.e. graduate tuition for graduate courses, and undergraduate tuition for undergraduate courses.

Continuous Enrollment Fee

Students who have previously registered for all of the necessary coursework credits and research requirements on their approved program of study, but who have not completed their research project will be registered for continuous enrollment credit (TRDIS-700) each additional semester until degree completion. This applies to students who have previously received an Incomplete (I) or an In Progress (IP) grade. This will ensure that you have access to the library, laboratories, faculty and other benefits.

Continuous enrollment credits will not count toward the requirements for the degree. The fee for continuous enrollment of $100 per term cannot be waived.

Minnesota Students

If you are a Minnesota resident and a new student at UW-Stout, you must submit a reciprocity application to Minnesota. Approval takes up to four weeks. If approved for reciprocity, you will be charged at the Minnesota resident tuition rate. The State of Minnesota has indicated that “reciprocity benefits will not be granted retroactively” and that “each student is responsible for the application process.” Therefore, each new student must submit a correct application before the last day of the semester. Apply early to avoid complications. Students that have been in attendance at UW-Stout and have earned credits during the previous academic year will automatically have reciprocity renewed by the State of Minnesota. Reciprocity applications are available online at www.mheso.state.mn.us.

Auditing Classes

Wisconsin residents under age 60 may audit classes for 30 percent of the normal per credit academic fee. The normal per credit academic fee is waived for Wisconsin residents age 60 or older by the first day of class. The cost for non-residents is 50 percent of the normal per credit academic fee. The cost for Minnesota Reciprocity students is 30 percent of the normal per credit Minnesota Reciprocity fee.

Refund on Fees

Withdrawal from semester courses generates refunds based on the refund schedule set by the Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System. The amount of a refund is determined by the session length of a course and the date of the withdrawal or drop. The refund schedule can be found on the Student Business Services website. Refunds for room and food service charges are based on the date of withdrawal.

Graduation Fee

At the beginning of the first term of graduate enrollment, student accounts will be charged a one time, non-refundable $100 graduation fee. This fee pays for various costs, including final degree audit, diploma and cover, as well as other costs and accessories associated with the commencement exercises. Candidates will be assessed the fee regardless of commencement ceremony participation. The fee does not cover the cost of the cap and gown, which are available from the University Bookstore.

Unpaid Obligations

Failure to meet financial obligations is a serious matter. Therefore, if you owe money to the university and fail to meet that obligation, financial penalties will be assessed and a hold will be placed on your account. You will not be allowed to register or receive transcripts until your delinquent accounts are paid in full.

Withdrawal Fee

You will be charged a fee of $50 for a first-week withdrawal, and $100 for any withdrawal during the second week.